It's Paul Olarewaju's Blog: 2015 Grammy Awards: Sam Smith almost sweeps top awards

Instagram

Monday 9 February 2015

2015 Grammy Awards: Sam Smith almost sweeps top awards

Freshman British singer-songwriter, Sam Smith stole the show at the 57th Grammy Awards as he took three of the four top awards, for record, song and new artist.

“Stay With Me,” Smith’s breakthrough hit, was named record and song of the year, a deeply heartfelt plea to a departing lover.

“Thank you so much for breaking my heart,” Smith, 22, said when he stepped to the stage to collect the record of the year award. “You got me four Grammys…. Dear Lord, thank you so much, this is the best night of my life.”

Smith missed out on a sweep of the four top Grammy categories in which he was nominated — record, album, song and new artist — when Los Angeles maverick rock singer-songwriter-producer Beck scored an upset with his widely lauded “Morning Phase” album. The hotly watched category also included Smith’s album and the latest works by pop-R&B queen Beyonce,  omnipresent “Happy” singer-songwriter Pharrell Williams and rising British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran.


After winning the pop vocal album award, Smith said, “I just want to say, that before this
album, I tried everything to try to get my music heard. I tried losing weight and I was making terrible music. It wasn’t until I started being myself that people started to listen.”

Smith became one of the record industry’s big success stories of 2014 with his breakthrough hit single “Stay With Me” from “In the Lonely Hour.” For his performance late in the show of “Stay With Me,” Smith was accompanied by singer Mary J. Blige and a string orchestra.


For many of the performers, especially the freshman nominees, it was a chance to interact with some of their heroes.

"Today I was in my [dressing] room and Stevie Wonder is next to me in his changing room and asked me to come into his room,” Sam Smith said before the ceremony began. “I walked in and he started playing my song to me, 'Not the Only One'. He started singing it to me. I just freaked out. I got on my phone and filmed a little bit. What do you do, it's just incredible. "

A BIG congratulations to Sam Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Your opinion counts, kindly ensure you drop your comment(s) each time you visit.

Comments on this blog are free opinions of readers, as such Paul will not be liable for them.