It's Paul Olarewaju's Blog: Our Breasts Or The Public’s Breasts?

Instagram

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Our Breasts Or The Public’s Breasts?

It often times beat my weird imagination, and I must confess, I am so not a fan of it for personal reasons. Okay, I guess you are already asking the question, what? O well, it is something our society has come to accept as normal, but to me, it is a little big deal.

Few days ago, I boarded a transit bus from Ajah heading to Lekki, I couldn’t but notice this cute little toddler fiddling with my shirt playfully, I smiled at the little boy and thought to myself, Awww….what a cutie! When I looked up above the baby’s head, I couldn't but notice his pretty mum seated right next to me, then I said to myself, it would be a taboo for this baby not to be as adorable as he is. O well, let’s fast forward, that is not the major focus.

The happy little boy kept playing and started fiddling with his mother’s breasts, before anyone could say Jack Robinson, she had swung out her breast to feed him, of course its normal and highly commendable to breast feed ones child. As a matter of fact I used to be a big fan of breast sucking as a kid (winks).

After about ten minutes, I decided to look out for my cute little friend. Oops! I had to quickly swing my head back to the opposite direction because virtually the whole of his mum’s bosom was carelessly on full display in a 16 sitter bus which had just about 3 females, and as a matter of fact other females were seated far behind.

I guess other men on the bus must have felt uncomfortable as well. The usual questions I ask myself in such scenarios popped up in my mind again:
       
       1.   What has changed about that pretty lady who used to cover it all up from the sight of men? (Even when she flashed only her cleavage, accidents dey happen).

       2.  Isn't this supposed to be one man’s (and his children) full access property and a mystery to other men?

       3.  Would this public display not affect the psychology of her husband and possibly irritate her older children, if she’s got any.

On the other hand, I ask just like everyone would: won’t she feed her hungry baby?

Of-course, she definitely have to! But are there no possible ways to eliminate or limit public breast feeding while ensuring babies are well fed? I think one possible way to archive that is by ensuring babies are well fed by their mums in their private before setting out. Another thing is this, some African mums actually feel irrespective of what a child’s need might be, the breast serves as the perfect bribe to pacify the baby. 

It is a baby’s right to nurse whenever and for whatever reason. But I really feel mothers can still be
modest while nursing babies in public places.

Find below a few suggestions on how to breastfeed with some modesty publicly:
       
      1. Wear two piece outfits, or clothes with nursing slits: When you pull up your top to nurse, the fabric covers the top of your breast, and the baby covers the rest.

     2. Carry a blanket to throw over the baby once he/she settles down and starts nursing: You may want to get a very light piece of fabric to use when it’s warm outside. If you feel that it’s too hot, don’t use it.
       
     3. Nursing a young baby in public is easier than nursing a wiggly toddler: With older children, you can begin to set limits and negotiate. Toddlers can learn that they can’t pull your shirt up or play with the other breast while they are nursing, and they can also learn that they may have to wait for their feeding, as such you can feed them at private locations.

    4. When you go shopping, try to nurse in the car before you go into the store: if it’s not too hot or cold. Look for comfortable nursing spots when you go inside – locate lounges or stores with areas set aside especially for nursing (if available).

I had to put this in writing because I have had discussions on this with both male and female friends, and most of them feel almost the same way as I do about it.
Nothing is wrong with a little modesty! I support breastfeeding 1000%. My future wife will fully assume that duty once my baby is born. However, I just can’t imagine her pulling her breasts out indiscriminately publicly. Well, we shall work it out (Winks).

1 comment:

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Your opinion counts, kindly ensure you drop your comment(s) each time you visit.

Comments on this blog are free opinions of readers, as such Paul will not be liable for them.