It's Paul Olarewaju's Blog: Vulnerability of The 'Almajiri' Child - (A Touching Experience)

Instagram

Friday 11 March 2016

Vulnerability of The 'Almajiri' Child - (A Touching Experience)

Photo credit:Temitope Kalejaiye
A trained journalist, Tope Kalejaye posted on Facebook this touching narrative about her encounter with an 'Almajiri' boy in the northern part of the country.

Immediately I read her words, I felt the need to share her post with you all.

She wrote:


"This time last year I made a documentary as part of my studies - a short film shot in Yola, Adamawa about the vulnerability of 'Almajiri' children and the horrifying
phenomenon of child suicide bombers."

"It was picked up for worldwide distribution by Journeyman TV.
I was again confronted by child poverty and terrorism on a recent visit to Maiduguri.
There I was greeted by a small boy with his begging bowl - so reminiscent of the boys with whom I had spent so much time filming for my documentary in Yola.
But I was shocked by what happened next, and the realisation of the profound trauma suffered by people in this part of Nigeria."
Photo credit:Temitope Kalejaiye
"As the child walked towards me instinctively I raised my stills camera to take his picture.
I hadn't anticipated his reaction ...
Panicked he started to turn and run - he had mistaken my camera for a gun.
I called after him ... explaining I only wanted to take his picture ... the camera was harmless, I wouldn't hurt him.....ofcourse with the help of Blessing Tunoh my WCE he agreed."

"He stood rooted to the spot - in fear, his breathing fast and shallow. I could see his chest quickly rising and falling. I could almost see his heart beating.
What terrible sights had this poor child witnessed to make him recoil in terror from a camera as if it were a gun?"

"Calmed, he allowed me to take his beautiful picture - the face of an innocent child bearing deep emotional scars.
It is a moment that will stay with me forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT

Your opinion counts, kindly ensure you drop your comment(s) each time you visit.

Comments on this blog are free opinions of readers, as such Paul will not be liable for them.